Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chapter Four

Hey there. So last time we traveled to Egypt, and then France. We also celebrated my and Carly's eighteenth birthday. How time flies. After much consideration, I have finally decided that it might be time for me to find a husband. Someone who was kind, strong, independent, and loyal. I mean, its time I met someone right? Someday I want a big family. And I can only achieve that by having a husband. Besides, it would be nice if Allen had a father figure.
So today Carly went with me to the park, where we would show off my fabulous cooking skills.

To be honest, I don't think I'm even doing this right. What is this stuff anyway? I thought I was cooking hot dogs. I threw Carly a terrified look, begging her to help. But being the mean sister she was she shook her head. “Your doing great.” She encouraged.
“Right.” I think the food is turning into charcoal.
After a few hours of no available guy paying any special attention to me, except for a homeless guy asking for some change and a bite of whatever it was I was making. I gladly handed him the whole plate. I wasn’t going to be eating it. Carly disappeared an hour before, so I started to head home. And lo and behold, there she was. I noticed we had mail, so I went to check it out. Bills, of course. So I wrote the check out for it.
 
“Cecily, come inside! I need to talk to you."





“Sit down, sit down.” Carly smiled. She was practically bouncing in her chair. So I sat down.
“What has you so excited?”
“Well, I decided that there was rather slim pickings at the park, so I wandered around, knocked on some doors,” Carly grimaced. “and tried to find out who was available, and who would meet your qualifications.”
And those would be: Has a job, unmarried, fit, nice, loyal, etc.
“And?” I can't believe she actually went knocking on strangers doors! To find me a man too.
“There’s a few. Four. Andrew Ryan.”
“No!” Anyone else but Andrew. “Andrew used to always pull my hair. That guys a bully!”
“Yeah, well, Britney Johnson suggested him. Apparently he married a girl he met in Bridgeport, then they divorced last year.” Andrew graduated two years before us. “Then there’s two other guys. I cant remember their names, but I don't think you would want to date them. They're both involved in criminal activities. But I think you'll like this last one. And hes cute.”
“How do you know?”
“Because I went to where he works and met him.” Carly smirked, got up and went to the fridge.
“You did what? Why!”
“Because I wanted to know what he was like. Besides Britney was talking about heading over there tomorrow. And you know what shes like.” Carly rose her eyebrow.
Right. Britney, the opposite of a womanizer. So would that be manizer? That doesn't sound right. Man eater sounds better.
“He wants to meet you.”
“You told him about me?!” Carly winced, covering her ears.
“Ouch! Seriously, do you want to meet a guy or what?”
My face grew warm. “Sorry,” I muttered. “It's just that-I'm not used to guys. I've only been friends with guys. I've never had a boyfriend before. I've never even had a crush.”
“I know,” Carly reached for my hand, giving it a squeeze. “But you will. I think this guy is pretty nice. And hes new to town. He's also looking for a nice lady to spend time with, so as soon as I started talking about you he asked if he could meet you.”
“Really?” I frowned. “When am I supposed to meet him?”
“In twenty minutes.” Carly put away the juice, grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door.
“T-twenty minutes? Carly, what-”
“Just shut up and come on.” Carly laughed at the look on my face.

We arrived at the Fire Station fifteen minutes later. It really doesn’t take long to get there. But why the fire station? Is he a firefighter? I asked Carly as she led me to the back of the building.
“Yup. Hey, wheres Jack Ryan at?” Carly asked an older gentleman wearing overalls.
“Waters is out back. Go through that door.” He pointed to the back of the building.
“Thank you,” Carly dragged me to the door, and outside. I saw two men jumping on a trampoline. I stared at them, certain one of the was this Jack. What was his last name? Crap, I don't have any make up on. Is my hair okay? What if he thinks I'm a weirdo?
Carly must have seen the scared look on my face, because she came to a stop and faced me. “It's okay Cecily.” She hugged me. “Just be yourself. I told him you never had a boyfriend, so you might be a little shy,”
Gee, thanks. Now he must think I'm lame or something.
“You'll do great, sis. He's the one right there, in the blue overalls.”






Wow. That’s him? I rubbed my neck, and tried to calm myself down.
“Deep, slow breaths. Hey Jack!”








“Hey Carly,” The guy in the blue overalls jumped off the trampoline and walked over. He looked over at me, and our eyes locked. Oh my. What color were his eyes? I can't even tell.
“This is my sister, Cecily.”
“H-hi,” I stammered. I mentally hit myself on the forehead. Why couldn’t I have said something clever?

“So, um, Carly tells me your new to town?” Wow, hes standing a bit close isn't he? Slow breaths.
 
"Yeah, a week now. Um, do you know anyone by the name of Britney Johnson?"
Oh crap, not already!"Yes I do know her." He's not going to ask for her number is he? Oh llamas, please don't let that happen!
"Great. If you see her, can you warn me? I've been hearing some stories, and apparently she wants to meet me. I'd rather avoid her."
I felt the relief crash into me. Thank the llamas. "Uh, yeah sure." Thanks to whoever spread those stories too.
"So what do you like to do for fun?" I asked the first thing that popped into my head. I hope he likes books. "Do you like to read at all?"
"I do a little reading. But mostly I like playing chess, exercise, and watch TV with the guys. What about you?"
"Oh, I like to make sculptures."
"For fun?" He asked, surprised.
"Oh yeah. Its my lifetime wish, along with having five kids." Oh crap.Why did I just say that? I'm insane!
Jack laughed. "Carly told me that part." Wow, and he still wanted to meet me? "But what else do you like to do?"
"I love to read," I sighed, and looked around me. "Its like a person who loves to be outside. They love it. They cant imagine life without the outdoors. The smell, the sites. The way nature feels. That's how I feel about books." I looked back at Jack, who gazed back at me. He has such amazing eyes. "I love the way books smell, the way a book feels in your hands. Books can be your best friend, and the best lover."






"So I have competition?"
I blinked at him. I didn't understand. I laughed. "No you don't. Your good."
Jack wiped away imaginary sweat from his forehead, and we laughed.
"Listen, I need to get back to work. Is there another time we can hang out?"
"Um, sure. Would you like to hang out at my place? At five?"
"Definitely," An alarm started ringing from the building. Jack suddenly started heading inside. "Tomorrow, five. See you!"
"Bye," I waved a limp hand, but it was useless. He was already gone. Carly ran up to me, took one look, and led me back home. I didn't even notice her leading me.

I was going to see Jack tomorrow.
"Carly?"
"Yeah?" Carly opened the door to our home.
"Whats Jacks last name?"
Carly shook her head. "You didn't ask?"
"Of course not."
"Yeah I should have figured that out. It's Waters. Jack Waters."
Jack Waters. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment